My wife (of 5 years) and I disagree on religion. I’m a Lutheran minister and I just found out that she’s a staunch atheist. I really enjoy our life together, our children, and our nonprofit that we both co-run, but now we fight all the time over this “religion” issue. What should I do?
-Gerard, 40, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Hey Gerard, thanks for the question. I think it’s incredible that you just found this out. This should have been discussed on day 1 of meeting her. Below is a list of ALL the day 1 discussions that you should have had:
- Her stance on religion
- Her stance on economics/politics generally
- Her stance on local fishing rights
- Her stance on global fishing rights
- Her stance on regional fishing rights
- How cool fishing is
- Would she want to go fishing next weekend?
- Netflix and fish?
- Her stance on plagiarism/honesty in general
- In her opinion, the least overrated Beatle
- In her opinion, the tallest Beatle (there is actually room for debate here)
- How long does she typically subscribe to a conspiracy theory before abandoning it and pretending she never really believed it?
- Any allergies?
To answer your specific question, Gerard, there is nothing that can be done to fix this. I cannot help you.